View All FIP Warriors

FIP Warrior:

Boots "Puss N' Boots"

Boots is my neutered male who had just turned 1 years old and was diagnosed with FIP on 9/19/2019. I took him to the vet because he had been hiding a lot and I noticed he had lost weight. He presented with a fever of 104.0 deg F and only weighed 7.0 lbs. Radiographs showed a small amount of fluid in the abdomen and the heart looked round heart. During his ultrasound we found pericardial effusion and a very small amount of fluid in his abdomen, he also had an enlarged mesentery lymph node. We took some fluid from his abdomen and sent it of for a PCR, that showed his FCOV value to be above exposure and indicating he had FIP. Is Lab work showed anemia, AG ratio 0.3 and WBC/ Neut high. No neurologic or ocular abnormities were found at that time. It was thought that maybe he had started with dry FIP that manifested into wet since he had been hiding and losing weight since the end of June until Sept 19th. 9/19/2019 he was sent home from the vet clinic with antibiotic (enrofloxacin) and prednisolone, mirtazapine and cerenia. The prednisolone helped his fever go down to 99.8, but by Monday his weight was 6.88 lbs and his fever was back up to 103.7 deg F. He was not wanting to eat and the mirtazapine and cerenia was not helping. I had been force feeding him all weekend to keep calories in him. By Monday he was so weak he just slept and could not walk to his litter box. If I had not already ordered the GS-441524 and knew it would arrive on Tuesday I would have euthanized him on Monday 9/23/2020. Tuesday 9/24/2019 was his 1st of GS-441524 at 5 mg/kg and 18hrs after his temp went down to 101.4 and he has yet to have it return. By Day 16 his weight had begun to increase, he was eating on his own again and playing. Day 17 PCV was repeated and improved from 18% to 29%. Everyday he had his injection and around day 20 I had to start putting b12 injection into it to help it not burn as bad. He continued to improve slowly. On day 38 of injections we did an ultrasound and he had no pericardial effusion or ascites. His mesentery lymph node was still present but had decreased in size. At this time, he also began to get lesions from the injections, and it was hard to find injection sites to poke him. He would go to work with me often (I am a vet tech) and I would have others help hold him to give his injection. One of his lesions was not healing well and we gave him a convenia injection to help it heal. We did lab work on him at 8wks 11/19/19 and his values were not perfect but most of them had returned to normal. His AG ratio went to 0.6, his Lymphocytes had gone down a little, but he was positive for Isospora (Coccidi). We treated him with a course of albon. Because the AG ratio had not improved much, and we talked about him not just being wet FIP and being dry to wet we increased his dosage of GS from 5 mg/kg to 7mg/kg for his last 22 injections. We did his labs again on 12/14/2019 the values had not changed much from 11/19/19, except he no longer had coccidia. This frightened me to stop the medication and at that time the medication was very hard to get a hold of. After talking with his FIP group and his veterinary team we decided that we will stop on day 84 like planned and hope to get some GS on hand and be prepared for a relapse just in case. I was able to obtain enough to 10 days on hand just in case since it was the holiday season and he was thought to be a high risk to relapse. Day 84 was on Dec 16th, 2019 that was the last injection Boots received. His weight was 8.4 pounds. Once we stopped the GS he was still eating but not as much, still playing but would sleep a little more and his weight went down to 8.24 by 12/20/20. I was a helicopter mom who was a mess and would over analyze everything thinking he was relapsing! On Dec 26th 2019 his weight went back up to 8.44 lbs we did labs that day and It showed that his Lymphocytes were high but all other values were normal at that time and his AG ratio was up more to 0.8. Great improvements! On 3/5/2020, day 80 of his waiting period we did his final lab work and an ultrasound. On exam no mesentery lymph node was felt and the doctor said other then him being a little fat he was looking healthy. The ultrasound was boring and on his lab work his Lymphocytes were higher then before. I contacted Dr. Pedersen and he said “We have seen a long lasting lymphocytosis in a number of our cats that have been treated for FIP using GS-441524. We have actually taken it as a good sign as it appears to have a high correlation with a cure. We know that experimentally infected cats that have natural immunity to FIPV challenge-exposure have long term changes in various lymphocyte subsets. Since none of these cats relapse with FIP, and none have developed diseases like lymphoma, we have tended to ignore it. We have also seen no long term complications in any of the naturally infected FIP cases that have had lymphocytosis after treatment. However, the lymphocyte count in this cat is a little higher than others and it would be prudent to follow him a little closer with routine palpation of peripheral lymph nodes and a CBC. You could do this every 6-12 months for awhile. -NCP”. Today on April 12, 2020 Boots is considered Cured of FIP! He weighs 9.64 lbs and is very lively. 1 month ago I sold the 10 days of medication I had on hand to help another cat start its journey to hopefully one day be cured as well! I cannot thank everyone enough who did the research to find that this drug can cure a cat of FIP. It has helped so many Kittens get to live longer and more enjoyable life! Working in the vet field since 2002 this is a huge step in medicine, and I am so happy to see it work! I encourage everyone I can to donate and shop from Zen By Cat so that the research can continue to be funded and more cats and kittens can continue to live and hopefully they can find a future treatment that works better in a short amount of time. Thank You everyone!